Advising is an important part of college education as it ensures students make progress towards their degree(s) and have a chance to consult with faculty members about opportunities to expand their skill sets and establish career goals. At the Department of International Relations, it is expected that students will meet with their advisor multiple times throughout their college career. If you are unsure who your advisor is or where to turn to for advising needs, please see below for more information.

If you are an M.A. student or are part of the SF State Scholars Blended Program, please see Prof. Skonieczny.

If you are an International Relations major or have only an International Relations minor declared, please see the advisor you are assigned by last name below.

Please see your minor coordinator if you are earning a minor or certificate in:

  • Migration and Refugee Studies
  • Global Peace, Human Rights, and Justice Studies
  • Middle East and Islamic Studies
  • South Asian Studies
  • African Studies
  • European Studies
  • Latin American Studies

Please note that Prof Scott Siegel will be on sabbatical for Fall 2023, and Professor Monshipouri will be on sabbatical for Spring 2024.

International Relations Tips for Advisors zoom

Tips for Advising

Watch this short informative video to learn more about advising in the Department of International Relations with Professors Jonathan Whooley and Anthony Pahnke.

Undergraduate Advisors

AY 2023-2024 Undergraduate Advisors
Student Last Names & Minor Coordinator Name Office Email
Starting with A – BH

Prof. Banerjee

HUM 249

Starting with BO – C

Prof. Byun

HUM 267

Starting with D – G

European Studies Minors

Prof. Monshipouri
(Fall 2023)

Prof. Siegel
(Spring 2024)

HUM 246


HUM 331

Starting with H – K

Migration and Refugee Studies Certificate
Global Peace, Human Rights, and Justice Studies minors
South Asian minors
African Studies minors

Prof. Ellis

HUM 280

Starting with L – M

Prof. Pahnke HUM 259

Starting with N – RIO

Latin American Studies minors

Prof. Darling

HUM 427

Starting with RIT – S

Prof. Tsygankov HUM 526

Starting with T – Z

Middle East and Islamic Studies minors

Prof. Volk HUM 576

Graduate Advisors

AY 2022-2023 Graduate Advisors
Student Last Names Name Office Email

All Graduate Students

SF Scholars/Blended

Prof. Skonieczny HUM 452
Two people working and writing together

Undergraduate Advising

Majors in the College of Liberal & Creative Arts (LCA) should consult with two advisors each semester:

  1. an advisor in the major and
  2. a general education and university requirements advisor in the Undergraduate Advising Center

Students who are completing a minor or an additional major should see an advisor in those programs as well.

Graduation cap on person with hand up

Graduate Advising