Students who declared a minor in European Studies prior to the Fall 2018 semester have the option of completing the old requirements below or the revised minor requirements.
How many courses do I need to take for the European Studies minor?
- Seven courses (21-24 units), of which three (9-10 units) form a required core curriculum and four (12-14 units) are electives in humanities and literature, social sciences, and art history or the performing arts. Students can design an elective program that reflects their particular interests in a time period, country or other specific focus.
- Students must also complete one year of college-level study (or its equivalent) in a European language other than English.
- At the discretion of the European Studies coordinator, courses taken in certified SF State Study Abroad programs may be substituted for the minor requirements.
- HIST 111: History of Western Civilization II (3 units)
- HIST/I R 346: Recent European History (3 units)
Choose one of the following: (3-4 units)
- HIST 348: Thought and Culture in Modern Europe
- HUM 410: The Modern Revolution
- PLSI 352: Political Theory: Reformation to Nineteenth Century
- PLSI 353: Political Theory: The Twentieth Century
- PHIL 303: Modern Philosophy
A full list of eligible electives is available on the advising worksheet (PDF)
Humanities and Literature (3 units)
Choose one elective from appropriate courses in: Comparative and World Literature, English, French*, German*, Humanities, Italian*, Jewish Studies, Modern Greek Studies, Philosophy, Russian* and Spanish.*
* Some courses in these departments may have prerequisites.
Social Sciences (3-4 units)
Choose one elective from appropriate courses in: History, International Business, International Relations, Jewish Studies and Political Science.
Art History and the Performing Arts (3 units)
Choose one elective from appropriate courses in: Art History, Cinema, Music and Theater Arts.
Additional Elective (3-4 units)
Choose one elective from appropriate courses in any of the three areas (Humanities and Literature, Social Sciences, Art History and the Performing Arts) above.
Foreign Language Requirement
One year of college-level language study, or two years of high school language study, or demonstration of equivalent competency in a European language other than English.
Appropriate courses taken in CSU or bilateral programs in Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom may substitute for the above requirements, at the discretion of the European Studies director.
Total number of courses:
Seven courses (21-24 units) plus foreign language requirement